Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

A day in the life with ADHD

Today is a typical day.  I've got yarn on the stove, the tunic (see earlier posts) on the needles, my first tentative lacework on the knitting machine, a video game, and the blog...all going at once. This is how my days usually go.  It's normal for the attention deficit crowd, of which I'm a lifelong member.  Oh, and my lunch has been in the microwave for an hour, because I've forgotten to eat it.

My new-to-me knitting machine has a name now.  It's Brother Henry.  The manufacturer is Brother.  And Henry just came to me.  Here's what Brother Henry and I are working on today:


This is attempt number five at using the lace carriage.  I keep having stitches hang up on the gate posts.  Not sure why.  I did reduce the weight, a lot, which helped the stitches hop the gate posts.  Now I'm down to one error every other row instead of four per row.  Improvement!

The knitting machine is a good fit for the ADHD, because (at least using the lace carriage) you have to keep switching your attention from the knit carriage, the pattern display, the lace carriage, and the needles.  The pattern display tells you which setting to make on the lace carriage.  You run that for a few rows, checking the needles every time to make sure the stitches made it securely. Then you have to keep an eye on the pattern display, because it will tell you when to run the yarn across with the knit carriage and for how many rows.  It's very satisfying.  Except for the error part. 

Well, I'm off to knit a tunic, or dye some yarn, or make some lace, or shoot some zombies.  Enjoy the cosmos!


No comments:

Post a Comment